Thursday, April 17, 2008

3.5 week old photos

5 photos added to the Daniel album...clicky. I really need to put that in the sidebar.

Daniel's taking a nap in his crib, and I don't know what to do with all this time. =P There are about a million things I've been learning about motherhood, the biggest of which is ...throw your assumptions out the window. No, really. Pick them up and throw them. Hard.

I've thought up four or five interesting blog posts over the last three weeks, and can't remember any of them. Hm. Aw, a teeny little bird just landed outside my window. Back to Daniel...

(I never wanted to be one of those moms who only ever talked about her kids, but (a) he's my only hobby at the moment, and (b) he's just super interesting, and (c) it's my blog, you don't have to read it if you feel over-Danieled. Now, back to my amazing child...)

He had his first bath last week and liked it, but hated his second bath a few days later. Note: wait until he's in a good mood to bathe him. This morning he gave me his first real smile; he's been smiling for weeks, but today he smiled back when I said good morning. It thrilled me to my toes.

He's also becoming play-with-able. He notices toys sometimes. Mom got him this crazy rattling cow that never fails to draw his attention when you pull the crazy rattle string. He likes when you sing to him, and Heather claims he was looking at the pictures when she read to him the other day.

We're slowly developing some sort of routineish type thing. I'm learning how daytime sleep/play patterns can affect nighttime, and he usually sleeps for 3 or 4 hour stretches at night now. He'll stay in his crib for two of those, three if we're lucky, but if that doesn't work we let him sleep with us and he zonks out for 5 hours at a time. I sleep pretty lightly when he's with us, which is why we're not just cosleeping all the time.

During the day he likes to snuggle ...ALL THE TIME. This is sweet and I'm enjoying it, and I will also enjoy it when he's ready to explore some more of the world besides Mommy. I had expected to be able to put him down more, or at least wear him in the sling, and be able to do some normal things (laundry, dishes, etc.) pretty soon after he was born. Nope...so, adjusting my expectations, I now have a stack of books and a laptop by the couch, and we have nice relaxing snuggly days.

Wow, super long post. Are you still reading this?? Go look at pictures, they're much more interesting and not so wordy. In fact, each one is worth a thousand words. Haha.